Seeed Studio ReSpeaker New Voice Assistant Alternative
Seeed Studio unveiled a new second-generation device called ReSpeaker Mic Array v2.0. It’s basically a very advanced portable microphone device based on an open-source solution, composed of a PCB assembled inside a round-shaped enclosure. The ReSpeaker can be connected through a standard USB port, for example, a laptop, PC, Tablet, etc. The main advantage of the product is that you don’t need to pre-install any third-party drivers to operate it and it also comes with nifty Echo suppression and cancellation technologies.
The ReSpeaker comes with a four far-field microphone array capable of detecting voices up to 5m away even with the presence of background noise. The on-board hardware-enabled algorithms are powered by the Vocal Fusion XVF3000 chip.
Several improvements have been made since the original ReSpeaker Mic Array v1.0. The first change you may notice in this model is the reduction of microphones powered by the XMOS XVF-3000. Also, a full-duplex AEC to deliver increased performance with fewer microphones, and thus a lower cost. A few additional changes were made in v2.0. Now It comes with an optimized power circuit and the audio jack and the micro USB port were moved to the backside.
According to the ReSpeaker specifications, it supports all the popular operating systems with #Windows 10/8/7, #Mac, #Linux, and #Android. The ReSpeaker has an OTG and a Headphone jack to connect to an external speaker/earphones. It can be used in a wide selection of voice applications, but what’s more interesting is that with some customization it can also be used with an SBC such as the raspberry pi 4 along with Alexa and also use it as a type of google voice assistant alternative to switch the lights on and off or operate electric appliances.
ReSpeaker | Product Introduction
ReSpeaker | SBC running Alexa
ReSpeaker PCB ( 4 Mic Array )
ReSpeaker Mic Array v2.0 Highlights:
- Advanced Acoustic algorithms implemented.
- DOA (Direction of Arrival)
- AEC( Automatic Echo Cancellation)
- AGC (Automatic Gain Control)
- NS (Noise Suppression)
- Plug&Play Far-field microphone array.
- Plug & Play (No driver required) – compatible with Windows 10/8/7, Mac, Linux and Android through OTG.
- Voice Pick-up device, Far-field voice pick-up up to 5m and supports 360° pick-up pattern.
- Built-in audio jack, which allows for plugging in headphones or speakers (speaker not included).
- XVF-3000 from XMOS
- 4 High-Performance Digital Microphones
- Supports Far-field Voice Capture
- Speech Algorithms On-Chip
- 12 Programmable RGB LED Indicators
- Microphones: ST MP34DT01TR-M
- Sensitivity: -26 dBFS (Omnidirectional)
- Acoustic Overload Point: 120 dB SPL
- SNR: 63 dB
- Power Supply: 5V DC from Micro USB or Expansion Header
- Dimensions: 70mm (Diameter)
- 3.5mm Audio Jack Output Socket
- Dimensions: 70mm x70mm x13.3mm
- Smart home/office appliances automation
- Voice pick-up device
- Home/Office automation device
- In-car voice assistant
- Healthcare device
- Voice interaction robot
- Conferencing in meeting rooms – 5~6 attendees.