Table of Contents
- Maybe you missed it? Orange Pi 4 LTS
- ROCK5 Model B Review, Design, Interfaces, and Features.
ROCK 5 Model B
RADXA team recently launched their new high-performer ROCK5 Model B SBC. Based on the board specifications, the hardware runs by a RockChip octa-core Cortex-A76/A55 CPU. The current configuration supports up to 16GB RAM, M.2 NVMe storage, 2.5GbE, optional WiFi 6E, 8K video output via HDMI or USB-C ports, 4K HDMI input, including a few other functional interfaces. In recent years, The company acquired a good reputation amongst the top Chinese SBC design and manufacturing companies offering good software support via forums and a large base user community.
ROCK 5 Model B: Design & Interfaces
ROCK 5 Model B specifications
- SoC – Rockchip RK3588 octa-core processor with four Cortex-A76 cores @ 2.4 GHz, four Cortex-A55 cores @ 1.8 GHz
- System Memory – 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB LPDDR4x
- GPU: Arm Mali G610MC4 GPU
- M.2 2280 socket for NVMe SSD (PCIe 3.0 x4) up to 2,000 MB/s
- MicroSD card socket
- eMMC flash socket
- Video Output
- 2x HDMI 2.1 up to 8Kp60
- 1x USB-C via DisplayPort alt. mode up to 8Kp30
- Three independent displays supported
- Video Input
- 1x micro HDMI input up to 4Kp60
- 2x MIPI CSI connectors
- 2.5 Gbps Ethernet RJ45 port with PoE support
- Support for WiFi 6E and Bluetooth 5.2 via an M.2 module
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 Type-A ports, 1x USB 3.0 Type-C port, 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Expansion – 40-pin GPIO header
- Size: 100mm x 72mm (Pico ITX form factor)
Rockchip RK3588 SoC powers the Rock Pi 5 B with an Oct core ARM processor offering users 4x Cortex-A76 + 4x Cortex-A55 that can also support up to 32GB 64bit LPDDR4X ram. This mini PC also supports 8K@60 HDMI, MIPI DSI, MIPI CSI, 3.5mm jack with mic, USB Port, GbE LAN, PCIe 3.0 x4, PCIe 2.0, 40-pin color expansion header, and RTC. Also, ROCK5 features USB PD power with display alt mode.
On the Software side, the Rock Pi 5 Model B supports Debian/Ubuntu Linux and Android 12, RKNPU2 NPU software stack, including Hardware access/control library for Linux/Android. Supported include popular frameworks such as TensorFlow/MXNet/PyTorch/Caffe.
According to and based on the case photo, it’s well-built and has large rater fins that help disperse the extra heat through the case body. A pair of plastic-made enclosers are assembled on both sides of the case to protect the board interfaces.
Thermal management & Heatsink Mounting Holes
The ROCK 5 Model B comes with a PWM fan connector (power out and voltage TBC) with two heatsink mounting holes, ensuring the best thermal contact between the heatsink and the board components, ensuring the board components are getting the best cooling and performance.
Price and Availability
Prices start at $129.00 for the primary 4GB RAM Model. The 8GB RAM sells for $149.00, and 16GB, the highest level, sells for $189.00. All prices and technical details are available on the ALLNET GmbH (China) website.