Bluboo S1 Review: A Bezel-less affordable Chinese Phone
Bluboo S1 Review | Product summary
Bluboo S1 joins the ultra slim bezel-free wave of smartphones, following Xiaom’s Mi Mix launch, Doogee and few other small size Chinese phone manufacturers. Also sometimes called border-less device. This new phone is not a Mix killer, nor has a back cover ceramic coating. It’s a lighter version with a lower price tag and above decent specifications suitable for average users and above in terms of performance. The phone features a MediaTek MTK Helio P25 SoC, powered with an Octa-Core Processor operating in maximum frequency of 2.5 GHz and ARM Mali-T880 MP2 GPU.
Bluboo S1 is available in two versions, a lite basic version with different memory and storage combinations, either 4 GB RAM / 64 GB internal storage or the advanced one with 6 GB RAM / 64 GB internal storage, both with External expansion Card option supporting up to 256GB of space. As for additional hardware specifications, the S1 (basic version) runs the new Android 7.0 Nougat OS, it comes with a 5.5 inch HD Display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection, Dual rear camera (16.0MP+3.0MP) with dual flash, front-facing 8MP camera, and 3500 mAh Li-polymer Battery that according to company should provide 6-7 hours of on screen time.
For those who wonder if the device comes with gyroscope and magnetometer sensors. The answer is YES. To simplify things, both sensors are very important for improving navigation accuracy in online and also offline mode without an Internet connection, including rotation of the map according to the rout and user perspective. That said, The S1 is currently available in official DealeXtreme Store (Link Posted below):
5% Off discount coupon: DXAFFA (Valid until 11/07/2017)
Bluboo S1 Review | Promotion Video
Bluboo S1 Review | Black Edition
Bluboo S1 Review Focus:
- Model Reviewed: Bluboo S1 ( 4GB RAM / 64GB ROM)
- Product Introduction
- Specs & Main Products Features
- Product Package
- Package Content
- Build design & Appearance
- Hardware Platform
- Features: Screen, Cameras, Navigation, Speaker & Sound, Microphone, Battery
- Final Verdict
- Bluboo S1 Review summary
Bluboo S1 Highlights:
- Display – 5.5-inch FHD , 2.5D Arc screen,90% screen-to-body ratio
- Corning Gorilla Glass Protection – YES
- SoC – Helio P25 with a maximum clock frequency of 2.5 GHz
- GPU – Mali-T880 MP2
- OS – Android 7.0 Nougat
- Memory & Storage – 4 GB / 64 GB , 6GB / 64GB , Micro-SD Card Slot
- Cameras: (16.0MP+3.0MP) with dual flash, 8.0MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint ID – Response time 0.1 seconds
- Battery capacity – 3500 mAh with fast charging support
- Ambient Light Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Fingerprint Scanner
Network & Connectivity:
- Bluetooth: BT4.0
- GPS: GPS / A-GPS / GLONASS
- SIM Card: dual SIM dual standby, nano-SIM + nano-SIM
- 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- 3G: WCDMA 900/2100Mhz
- 4G: FDD-LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz
Bluboo S1 Package
Bluboo S1 Package Content (Unboxed)
- 1x Bluboo S1 Phone
- 1x 5V – 2A Charger
- 1x USB-USB Type-C Cable
- 1x Screen Guard
- 1x USB-Type C Audio Jack Adaptor
- 1x Sim Eject Tool
- 1x Quick User Guide
- 1x Service Card
- 1x Case
Main Package Unboxing
Package # 1 (Content)
Package # 2 (Content)
Build design & Appearance
Bluboo S1 external design and general appearance were impressive. The company managed to design a great lightweight phone composed of a metal frame that’s not heavy, but still maintaining great build quality.
Bluboo S1 Phone (Hands view)
Based on MediaTek Helio P25 SoC (System on a chip) The S1 is powered by a fast MT6757CD Octa-Core processor along with 4GB of RAM and a Mali-T880 GPU which all combined contribute to the phone speedy performance. As for internal storage and memory usage, from 64GB of internal storage space, with some chunk reserved for system files and apps you will be left with approximately with ~50GB of free space. If you need additional space, The Micro-SD is the second best option. Memory utilization under Android 7.0 OS was also good. Without loading extra apps in the background, Only 1.5GB of RAM out of 4GB was actually used.
AnTuTu Benchmark & System information
Bluboo S1 runs under a clean stock Android 7.0 operating system that includes google play store, maps service. Experience operating the phone was nothing but good with no complaints what so ever.
Bluboo S1 Phone | Android OS
- Display – The Bluboo S1 comes with a bright and glossy, high reflection FHD 5.5 Inch five-point multi-touch display. From my personal impression playing with the device, the display quality was excellent and also very sensitive to touch when typing.
- Cameras – The Main 16.0MP camera Produced pretty average and mediocre in quality photos. In lower light conditions the photos were grainy but very expected in Chinese low budget phones. The 8.0MP Front Camera performance was also average but not too bad.
For Comparing the main camera quality of both devices when taking shots indoors, I took the same shots with those devices located at an equal distance from the photographed object. In this simple test, the results were better in favor of the Doogee Mix device equipped with the Samsung sensor as the main camera. Color saturation and overall picture quality were better compared to the S1, that had difficulty to autofocus on an object and produced blurry photos in low light conditions.
The photo taken outdoors in optimal light conditions came out more reasonable and decent in quality.
Doogee Mix or vs Bluboo S1 | Main Camera Comparison
Doogee Mix | Main sensor 16MP Samsung ISOCELL sensor
Bluboo S1 | Main sensor 13.0MP Omnivision ( SW 16.0MP ) sensor
Indoor Photos (16.0MP Rear Camera)
Outdoor Photos (16.0 MPRear Camera)
- Speaker & Sound – Produced good and clear sound, with above reasonable quality.
- Microphone – Was sensitive and very average in picking up environment sounds.
- Navigation – Tested and performed well when navigating in offline in ‘Walk’ mode using ‘HERE WeGo‘ Application. GPS Test reported a max single accuracy of 3m with a use of 12 satellites out of 19.
Charging the Bluboo S1 3500 mAh Li-polymer Battery took about two hours using the 5V – 2A charger. With this battery, you may expect up to 6 (Hr) :50 (Min) of screen time of ‘light’ usage with (3G/4G) Data connection enable. Performing basic tasks such as browsing, playing videos on youtube, using the rear camera and opening IM Apps. Above descent Battery work time for Chinese a phone in this price range.
Bluboo S1 Battery Usage
Overall the Bluboo S1 has more pros vs cons. It’s a very high-quality low budget phone that is very easy to operate and also lightweight. My personal experience with it was good and I think it’s a great alternative for average users that are not willing to pay extra money on more expensive devices, above the $150 price range.
- Good Speaker
- Good Sound
- Good Display
- Excellent Build Design & Quality
- High-Performance Hardware
- Lightweight (171 gr)
- Average camera performance
- No 3.5mm Audio Jack