Orange Pi 4/B Review – A Raspberry Rival Starting at $50
Orange Pi 4 Review
First enhancement of the new Orange Pi 4 SBC board series expected to be available in about two weeks. Following the gained popularity of the Rockchip SoC solution amongst known Chinese brands such as the FriendlyElec Nano Pi M4v2 boards that are also based on the Rockchip RK3399 solution.
The new Orange Pi 4 comes with few hardware improvements worth checking. For example, a DC power input port was added for more stable power requirements with an additional USB Type-C port that can be also used to power the board. Another advantage is the 16GB eMMC chip that is soldered on the PCB so you will not have to buy a separate eMMC module.
Additional features and highlights worth mentioning are the On-board Microphone unit, Power Management Unit (PMU) chip, 4GB RAM memory, and a 24 pins PCIe Interface. As for the USB ports, In the Orange Pi 4B edition, the company decided to stick with a pair of USB V2.0 without any additional USB 3.0 host port support.
According to the company announcement, the more advanced Orange Pi 4B is more suitable for artificial intelligence (Deep learning) applications, equipped with a unique Gyrfalcon Lightspeeur 2801S AI accelerator chip/NPU (Neural Processor unit) developed by Gyrfalcon Technology Inc. In the software arena, the Orange Pi 4/B boards are expected to support Android 8. x and Armbian Linux including future distributions.
Orange Pi 4/B SBC | Product Introduction
Orange Pi 4/4B specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip K3399 Hexa-core big.LITTLE processor with two Arm Cortex A72 cores, four Cortex A53 cores, and an ARM Mali-T860 MP4 GPU with support for OpenGL 1.1 to 3.1 support, OpenVG1.1, OpenCL and DX 11
- System Memory – 4 GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 16 GB eMMC flash, micro SD card
- NPU (Orange Pi 4B only) – Gyrfalcon Lightspeeur SPR2801S NPU delivering up to 2.8TOPS @ 300mW, 5.6 TOPS @ 100 MHz (peak performance)
- Video Output/Display Interface
- HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- LCD connector – DisplayPort (DP) version 1.2
- Video Decode – 4K VP9 and 10-bit H.265 video codec support up to 60 fps
- Audio – 3.5 mm audio jack for headphones; HDMI digital audio output; built-in microphone; ALC5651 codec
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet port (via RTL8211E transceiver), dual-band 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0 LE (AP6256 module)
- Orange Pi 4 – 1x USB 3.0 port, 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB 3.0 type C port
- Orange Pi 4B – 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB 3.0 type C port
- Camera – 2x camera headers
- Debugging – 3-pin serial header
- 40-pin GPIO 2.54mm pitch female header with 2x I2C, 1x SPI, 8x UART, GPIO, etc…
- 24-pin connector for PCIe signals
- Power Supply
- 12V/2A via DC jack (5.5/2.1mm)
- 5V3A DC via type C port
- RK808 PMU
- Dimensions – 91 x 56 mm