Nanopi R4S Review, Specs, Features and Highlights
FriendlyElec expected to launch a new Nanopi R4S SBC. This is a small complete computer on a circuit board. The SBC is based on the Rockhip RK3399 , powered with six ARM cores CPU with a combination of Cortex-A72 dual-core and Cortex-A53 quad-core next to a Mali-T864 graphics unit.
The Nanopi R4S is a headless system without a display interface. But it can be used as a printer server, network router, file server or for various purposes that do not require a screen.
Compared to its predecessor NanoPi R2s FriendlyElec offers 1 GByte or 4 GByte DDR3 RAM configurations on at small PCB measuring 66 x 66 mm, so the board is very compact and can be placed almost in every environment without occupying too much space. There is no eMMC flash on-board, but a micro SD card socket/slot comes built-in on the board capable of loading Linux systems on the memory card. There are also two USB 3.2 Gen 1 sockets, an onboard USB 2.0 header and a micro USB connection for the power supply. Two Gigabit Ethernet sockets (RJ45) make the mini-computer interesting for network application along with an external 10-pin GPIO interface.
- SoC: Rockchip RK3399
- RAM: 1GB DDR3/4GB LPDDR4
- Ethernet: one Native Gigabit Ethernet, and one PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
- CPU: big.LITTLE，Dual-Core Cortex-A72(up to 2.0GHz) + Quad-Core Cortex-A53(up to 1.5GHz)
- GPU: Mali-T864 GPU，supports OpenGL ES1.1/2.0/3.0/3.1, OpenCL, DX11, and AFBC
- VPU: 4K VP9 and 4K 10bits H265/H264 60fps decoding, Dual VOP, etc
- PMU: RK808-D PMIC, cooperated with independent DC/DC, enabling DVFS, software power-down, RTC wake-up, system sleep mode
- USB: two USB 3.0 Type-A ports
- Pin header extension interface
- 2×5-pin header: SPI x 1, I2C x 1
- 4-pin header: USB 2.0
- microSD Slot x 1
- Debug: one Debug UART, 3 Pin 2.54mm header, 3V level, 1500000bps
- LEDs: 1 x power LED and 3 x GPIO Controlled LED (SYS, LAN, WAN)
- 2 Pin 1.27/1.25mm RTC battery input connector
- one UserKey
- one 5V Fan connector
- Power supply: DC 5V/3A, via USB-C connector or Pin header
- PCB: 8 Layer, 66 mm x 66 mm
- Ambient Operating Temperature: -20℃ to 70℃
Nanopi R4S Layout
[Nanopi R4S Front view]
[Nanopi R4S Back view]
As most FriendlyElec SBCs, likely, the new expect Nanopi R4S board will mainly support Ubuntu/ OpenWRT Software so you would also be able to use it as a mini portable travel router to maximize your cybersecurity protection. So stay tuned, when we get our hands on the sample, we will post a full detailed hands-on review.