Table of Contents
Khadas VIM3L Launched
The new Khhadas VIM3L single-board computer by Shenzhen Wesion features the same as the Edge previously introduced both are equipped with NPU neural computing units that can accelerate AI calculations. However, VIM3L is more focused on audiovisual multimedia applications and is suitable for use as a set-top box. In addition, it can also be equipped with beautiful metal casings to enhance protection and heat dissipation capabilities.
The Khadas Vim3L specs are identical to those of the previous Khadas Vim3 except that the maximum RAM and eMMC have been halved to 2GB LPDDR4 and 16GB eMMC 5.1. The Vim3L replaces the powerful Amlogic A311D (4x Cortex -A73 @ 2.2GHz, 2x -A53 @ 1.8GHz) with a 1.9GHz, quad-core Cortex-A55 based Amlogic S905D3. The SoC is similarly fabricated with a 12nm process.
M.2 solid-state drive can also be installed
VIM3L is equipped with Amlogic S905D3-N0N SoC and 2GB LPDDR4 memory, has 4 clocks up to 1.9GHz 2k71 Arm Cortex-A55 processor core, and 800 MHz Arm Mali-G31 MP2 graphics processor GPU (supports OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.0, OpenCL 2.0), supports up to 4K, 75p H.265 decoding, and supports Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10 +, HLG, PRIME HDR, and other video formats. In addition, it is also equipped with the Arm Cortex-M4 processor and STM8S003 Controller.
In the AI calculation part, VIM3L is equipped with an NPU with 8 groups of tensor processors, of which 7 groups are used for AI speech recognition, and the remaining 1 group can be used freely. It can be used with mainstream deep learning computing frameworks such as TensorFlow and Caffe.
In the storage and I / O port, it has built-in 16MB SPI Flash and 16GB eMMC 5.1, and can expand the storage media through microSD and M.2 2280 slot (supports PCIe Gen2x1, NVMe). In addition, there are two sets of USB 3.2 Gen1. And one set of I / O terminals such as USB2.0 OTG / power input, HDMI 2.1, GbE Ethernet, and support Wi-Fi 5 (IEEE 802.11a / b / g / n / ac, 2X2 MIMO Bluetooth 5.0 And other wireless transmission functions.
Kodi HTPC Support
The Khadas VIM3L is a fantastic HTPC maker board capable of running Android 9.0 Pie. mainline Linux is supported, and a Volumio image for creating a networked Hi-Fi device. For a Kodi HTPC, you can run CoreELEC thereby unlocking thousands of Kodi add-ons for streaming movies, TV shows, and music plus the ability to playback local media or run a Plex server.
Khadas VIM3L OS:
- Android 9.0 Pie
- Mainline Linux (i.e. Ubuntu XFCE 18.04)
- CoreELEC (Kodi OS)
News Source: www.techbang.com
Khadas Vim3L Board | Interfaces & Ports
Khadas Vim3L Specifications
- Processor — Amlogic S905D3-N0N (4x Cortex-A55 @ 1.9GHz); 12nm fab; Mali-G31 GPU @ up to 800MHz with OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.0m OpenCL 2.0; 1.2-TOPS NPU at up to 800MHz with INT8 inference at up to 1536 MAC; Cortex-M4 and STM8S003 (programmable EEPROM) MCUs
- 2GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 16GB eMMC
- 16MB SPI flash
- MicroSD slot
- NVMe via M.2 (see expansion below)
- Gigabit Ethernet port with WoL
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, 2X2 MIMO with RSDB (AP6398S)
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Media I/O:
- HDMI 2.1 port for up to 4K@60Hz with 3D audio, HDR, CEC, HDCP 2.2
- MIPI-DSI (4-lane) at up to 1920 x 1080
- MIPI-CSI (4-lane) for dual up to 8MP cameras
- Dual independent displays
- Touch-panel support
- Other I/O:
- 2x USB 3.0 host ports
- USB 2.0 OTG Type-C port (with power)
- Fan connector
- M.2 2280 socket with NVMe, PCIe 2.0, USB 2.0, etc.
- 40-pin GPIO header: CPU) USB, I2C, I2S, SPDIF, UART, PWM, ADC; MCU) SWIM, NRST, PA1
- Other standard features — RTC with battery header; IR receiver; tri-axis digital accelerometer; 3x LEDs; 4x mounting holes
- Optional features (some are standard on HTPC Kit) — heat sink ($10), cooling fan ($15); DIY case ($15); 5-inch cap touchscreen ($50); Khadas Tone Board ($100); M2X Extension Board ($25); and more (metal plate, Type-C adapter, IR remote, cables, etc.)
- Power — 5-20V DC VIN input or USB Type-C; XPWR pads for ext. power button; function, reset, power buttons
- Dimensions — 82 x 58 x 11.5mm
- Weight — 28.5 g
- Operating system — Android 9 Pie, CoreELEC (Linux 4.9), Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (XFCE) with mainline Lin